SEO Friendly Urls in Sitecore -Remove spaces in Url (2)

by Aboo Bolaky 2. December 2008 11:03

This post is merely a follow up on my previous post : SEO Friendly Urls in Sitecore -Remove spaces in Url .

Even if you use the encodeNameReplacements settings in your web.config, this may well not be enough to get you going with clean urls. Although it will allow you to access an item by replacing the spaces with a dash (.i.e. if you chose to replace a space with a dash in the encodeNameReplacements element) in the url, the links that are rendered on the page (either by doing sc:link in xslt or the usual .net code) will still contain "%20" characters.

Now, this is the bit where I "kind of" messed up. In Sitecore V6 , we have the concept of LinkManager in the web.config. By default, the EncodeNames property is set to true. This is correct and you SHOUD NOT CHANGE IT. If the EncodeNames property is set to false, you will end up having "%20" characters in your hyperlinks.

The big question for me is when and why did I change the EncodeNames to false? I don't know.. Maybe I thought, at some point in time, that toggling the key to a value of false would solve some other problem that I was experiencing?

Anyway, had I not changed EncodeNames to false , I would have never the known the actual meaning and implications of EncodeNames. We learn from our mistakes... Cool

While we're here, you can remove the language code in the urls (http://hostname/en/node1/child.aspx) by changing the key languageEmbedding to "never". In that case, you will end with a url that looks like http://hostname/node1/child.aspx.

Back to Sitecore now..

Tags:

.Net | Applications | Sitecore | Tips & Tricks

Comments

5/10/2010 5:31:14 PM #

led downlight

Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post!

led downlight United States |

5/17/2010 5:14:14 PM #

Rolex replicas

It is extremely helpful and beneficial to your readers Nice article.

Rolex replicas People's Republic of China |

11/5/2011 7:35:42 AM #

louer riad marrakech

Yay google is my queen aided me to find this great website ! . “Don’t conduct out working with your hands. It does not preclude using your head.” by Andy Rooney.

louer riad marrakech France |

11/7/2011 7:22:46 AM #

sejour Marrakech

Its same you study my opinions! You enter to understanding so plenty around this, same you wrote the e-tablet in it or something. I handle that you could do beside a some p.c. to spur the telegram house a slight portion, yet different than that, this is impressive blog. A impressive study. I’ll indeed be back

sejour Marrakech France |

11/7/2011 2:51:59 PM #

Tout Marrakech

Saintly inscribe-up, I’m regular guest of sole’s point, claim up the gorgeous function, furthermore It is going to be a habitual guest for a pine phase. “Saintly babble is saintly prudence in belie.” by Jest Billings.

Tout Marrakech France |

11/13/2011 6:09:23 AM #

Tout Marrakech

I very esteem this advise. I’ve been looking sum past for this! Thank rectitude I establish it on Bing. You hold made my date! Thanks further! “All that is gold does negative flash negative sum those that expatiate are dead.” by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Tout Marrakech France |

11/13/2011 2:09:27 PM #

Marrakech ici

Retain up the large assemble of work, I comprehend few points on this internet spot plus I accept that your tangle spot is rattling interesting plus has cliques of exquisite knowledge.

Marrakech ici France |

11/15/2011 3:51:01 PM #

secteur immobilier au maroc

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It really was previously a satisfaction record it. Skim manifold to widely delivered appealing from you! Yet, how can we restrain up a agreement?

secteur immobilier au maroc France |

11/16/2011 5:45:41 AM #

immobilier maroc marrakech

I like this mesh position mere ample so ample fantastic info . “Fate opts your kins, you opt your chums.” by Jacques Delille.

immobilier maroc marrakech France |